Chakra Talk - The Seven Main Chakras
Part I - Introduction
This will be a multipart series of blog posts about what Chakras are, what they do, and how we can use this information to help in our self-healing goals. Printed sources used for this series include The Chakra Bible by Patricia Mercier, Chakras for Beginners by David Pond, and The Essential Reiki by Diane Stein.
The first entry is an introduction of the Chakra system and its overall purpose.
A chakra is often described as an energy vortex, or an energy center, located just in front of our spine in various locations beginning with the bottom of the tailbone and ending at the top of the head (or crown). They are described this way to give us a physical description to match with our physical body, but as David Pond states, they are “decidedly not physical,” which explains why you don’t see charts talking about them in your doctor’s office. “Chakra”, pronounced “chah’ krah” (not "shah krah"), is from Sanskrit and translates roughly to “wheel of light.” As explained by Diane Stein, these vortices are located on the etheric body, which is an energetic twin of the physical body, residing in tandem with our physical being.
There are seven main chakras and numerous minor chakras within each living being (yes, animals, too). They interact with a being in different ways and on different vibrational frequency levels. Remember, chakras are energy and energy works in vibrational frequencies, which affects us because we are also energy. The physical body is still energy, it just functions at a lower vibrational frequency.
Each chakra has a purpose related to its location and the organs and ductless glands near it. Later blog posts will discuss each chakra in more detail, but here is some basic information:
- Root or Base Chakra: Located at the bottom of tail bone and red in color, this chakra is the home of our most basic, primal energy, governing security, survival, stability and sexuality.
- Sacral Chakra: Located at the base of the spine, the sacral chakra is blazing orange and governs our creative and emotional energies as well as reproduction or fertility.
- Solar Plexus Chakra: In the space between the belly button and the base of the breast bone, the Solar Plexus Chakra shines with the beautiful yellow light of the sun and governs personal power, spiritual growth and instinctual knowledge.
- Heart Chakra: The Heart Chakra is located at the center of the breast bone and is usually seen as green, but can also be pink. As its name implies, the Heart Chakra governs all aspects of the heart including love in all its forms, passion, compassion, and devotion.
- Throat Chakra: Cool, comfortable turquoise or aqua colored energy resides at the Throat Chakra, located at the thyroid gland, between the collar bones. This energy center governs communication, expression, and truth.
- Brow or Third Eye Chakra: Located between the brows on the forehead and colored deep, midnight blue or indigo, the Third Eye Chakra is the center of intuition, self-knowledge, and introspection.
- Crown Chakra: Clear white or royal purple are the more typical colors of the Crown Chakra, located just above and slightly behind the top of head. In this energy center, we feel and connect to our highest self and to the Divine.